Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Songs

Since my order was Cuculiformes, I thought it would be appropriate to have one of my birds as the Cuckoo.
I used youtube to find a video of the cuckoo singing.
Here is a link to the video: Cuckoo Song
I observed that the song sounded like the bird was singing "Kooo", as in Cuckoo. It also had an inflection in the sound as if the bird was asking Koo Who?
The video sounded to me as if the bird was sending warning sounds to the birds near by because after the first time it 'Coo'ed other birds responded to its call. However, as the cuckoo's call started coming closer together, the birds stopped responding to it.

Another bird that I looked for was the Road runner.
Below is the link for a road runner call: Road runner song
The type of call was a mating call. I believe that the video shows two types of calls because the road runner begins with a call that sounds like a fast paced 'hoot' and then makes a different sound at the end that sounds like fluttering. I believe the first part of the song is calling for the mate, while the latter part may be a call to let the mate know of where he is located.


2 comments:

  1. I agree that the cuckoo bird in the video is giving warning sound

    ReplyDelete
  2. The road runner song sounds like when a rock pigeon is trying to hoot or sing to a mate.

    ReplyDelete